The Alliance of Greater Central Ohio is a men’s barbershop chorus which was formed to promote the singing of four-part barbershop harmony at the highest possible level.
It consists of a chorus, ensembles, and quartets which are dedicated to developing vocal, visual, and performance skills of all members, recruiting and retaining active members who share the chapter’s values, and maintaining the chapter’s performance at an "A" level.
The founders of The Alliance are dual and former members of the Columbus-Buckeye, Western Hills, Dayton Metro, Heart of Ohio, and Maumee Valley chapters of the Barbershop Harmony Society’s Johnny Appleseed District (JAD). All of these chapters have rich heritages within the JAD and the Barbershop Harmony Society. Two of them, Buckeye and Cincinnati Western Hills, have dominated district competitions, with Buckeye having won the JAD championship ten times, and Western Hills twenty-seven times. In addition, Cincinnati Western Hills boasts two international championships.
Over the years, each of these fine and very successful chapters has developed its own distinctive personality with programs designed to meet the needs of its members. An examination of the calendar of events of any one of these chapters reveals a rich variety of activities through which these men who love to sing, support their hobby, and contribute to the betterment of their community.
The founders of The Alliance, while recognizing the contributions, history, and heritage of their former chapters, and appreciating the support and training they received as members, discovered that they shared an overriding desire to focus their time, efforts, and energy – first and foremost – on singing and performing at the highest possible level. They believed that there were others who felt the same as they and who would join them in the formation of a new chapter based on attaining this goal. After months of discussion, debate, and preparation, The Alliance was formed.
Founding director - David Calland (1999 - Present)
Member of the Johnny Appleseed District.
- 2008 JAD changed the format of the district chorus contest. Under the new system the JAD Chorus Champions must sit out for two years before competing again.
- 2014 JAD changed the format of the district chorus contest. Under the new system the JAD Chorus Champions must sit out for one year before competing again.
- 2016 JAD changed the format of the district chorus contest. Under the new system the JAD Chorus Champions do not sit out before competing again.
- Do You Hear the Beat? (2004)
- Harmonies for the Holidays (2009)