The war years were tough. Actual active membership was often around 30 or so during the 40's and WWII. Of course, Joe also was a leader at the Society level. He served as a key officer and board member and was responsible for our first Society newsletter and our initial attempts to create a system for judges. And, he was one of the few judges and a well-respected coach. He also was the man the ladies turned to to help them initiate a Sweet Adeline group in KC. He led them for many years. In the history of Kansas City barbershop music no one will ever be as valuable as Joe Stern.
- The Kansas City Missouri Chapter recognizes and honors the musical directors of the Heart of America Chorus. They have used their skills to direct and impart their musical knowledge to each member of the chorus with one goal in mind: to enhance and improve the singing and performance excellence of the chorus. Through these efforts, each director of HOA has contributed mightily to the entertainment, preservation and encouragement of singing in the barbershop style. We are searching for specific tenures for three directors from our earliest years, who do not appear in the chronology:
- Originally, board members served one-year terms starting on our charter date, so early presidents appear in consecutive years. This was changed in 1961 to conform to the calendar.
- Presidents - Joe Stern, George Fairchild
- *Chapter presents show "Sweet Adeline," with net proceeds donated to Children's Mercy Hospital.
- June - K.C. Barber Polecats take 2nd place in St Louis, MO, at BHS Intl Quartet Contest 1941
- Presidents - George Fairchild, Mark Pierce
- June - K.C. Barber Polecats take 2nd place in Grand Rapids, MI, at BHS Intl Quartet Contest 1942
- August 15 - KC Chapter picnic
- Presidents - Mark Pierce, Joe Stern
March - 1st Annual Show
March - 2nd Annual Show
March - 3rd Annual Show