Ladies Association of British Barbershop Singers
LABBS is one of three barbershop-singing organisations in the United Kingdom, and the only purely-British organisation for female barbershop singers. Since its establishment in 1976, LABBS has grown to have 50 clubs and over 2000 members who are located up, down and across the country from Cornwall to Scotland. The choruses vary in size and are made up of women of all ages.
LABBS is a registered charity and one of the key objectives is to provide regular education for their members to continue to grow and develop in the craft of barbershop and harmony. This is offered through regional education days, national quartet weekends and many other events. LABBS’ Education & Judging Committee is integral to this and is made up of experienced members of the association. They are also internationally-qualified judges for regional, national and international competitions.
The annual national convention is held in late October, the venue changes from year to year, but regular venues include the Harrogate convention centre and Llandudno.
Often there is a preliminary quartet competition held in June to select the top 16 (and two mic warmers) to go forward to the semi finals on the Friday daytime at convention.
- afternoon - quartet semi finals and if being held, the QC competition
- evening - show featuring the quartet finals and the previous years' quartet champions swan song set
- daytime - chorus competition with last years chorus champions mic cooling
- evening - show featuring the new chorus champions and the new quartet champions
- Morning - Sing with the Champs
- Lunchtime - Mixed quartet competition
- Afternoon - show featuring the silver and bronze chorus and quartet winners and the Mixed quartet champions
- LABBS Quartet Champions
- LABBS Novice Champions
- UK Mixed Quartet Champions
- Quartet Champion competition
- Sweet Adelines International - Region 31
- The LABBS Youth Choruses
- British Association of Barbershop Singers