Great Lakes Chorus
The Great Lakes Chorus of Grand Rapids, MI, won the chorus contest at the 1953 BHS International convention. The International Executive Committee awarded them the title 1953 International 'Convention' Championship Chorus with the "convention" annotation. The title International Champion Chorus was not awarded until the following year. More information here.
In November 1939, members of the Schubert Club and local men that enjoyed singing barbershop met at the Pantlind Hotel (now the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel), and formed the Grand Rapids Barbershop Chapter. In 1947, the Chapter created the Great Lakes Chorus as their official choral singing group, to offer aspiring quartetters a large group in which they can learn barbershop harmony and hone their skills.
As of 2010, the Great Lakes Chorus has been crowned District Champions 11 times. They represented the Pioneer District 15 times at the International Contest between 1981 and 2002, more than any other Pioneer District Chapter in the history of the Society.
District Champions: 1953, 1955, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1991, 1994, 1997, 2000, 2010